Now just to figure out how to innoculate G from all this…
Not only that, but my 1 folder is now larger than my screen. Time to do some cleanup!
Today’s links brought to you in cronological order, and by the letter J.
- 10 obscure Linux applications you need to try | 10 Things | TechRepublic.com
- Triviagasm: The Most Famous Building In Science Fiction
- Why not to videotape lightning
- Seeing and Believing
- Cheney is a Wanted Man in Vermont | Democrats.com
- Best Firefox Extensions: 13 Money and Time Saving FireFox Add-ons! || Technology Nerd
- 15 Companies That Might Not Survive 2009 – Yahoo! Finance
- 10 things you didn’t know about Red Dwarf – Pages on Dave
- Zero Hedge: How The World Almost Came To An End At 2PM On September 18
- How to Download Free Books onto the Amazon Kindle – Popular Mechanics
- Slide show: Tiger’s greatest shots – Golf- nbcsports.msnbc.com
- Network Notepad Homepage
- Network Weathermap | See Everything – Current Release v0.95b
- The $3,000 speeding ticket: States double-dip for basic traffic infractions – WalletPop Blog
- Here’s an Idea . . . « The Baseline Scenario
- Palin’s Travels: Welcome to the Website
- Moonlight Downloads
- ClubUbuntu.com: How to mount and unmount .iso files in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
- The Economic Panic of 2009 by Bill Bonner
- 5 obscure HTML tags that you should know and even use – instant fundas
- Nine out of 10 parents swear in front of children – Telegraph
- Topology Rocks « Thermal Noise
- 25 reasons we love Austin, Texas – US and Canada- msnbc.com
- Steve Kemp’s Blog: Let me show you the way.
- 5 Things You Think Will Make You Happy (But Won’t) | Cracked.com
- ISOBurn for Windows – Tiny open source programs for Windows – from tinyapps.co.uk
- Download SpeedFan – Access temperature sensor in your computer
- How to undelete any open, deleted file on linux. | final cog
- An Oral History of the Bush White House | vanityfair.com
- Amazon.com: 3M Performance Plus 8979N Nuclear Grade 48-Millimeter-by-54.8-Meter Duct Tape, Slate Blue: Home Improvement
- whypeopleseemtohavefreetime.png (PNG Image, 1178×975 pixels) – Scaled (58%)
- prime number bear
- Fox News “war games” the coming civil war – Glenn Greenwald – Salon.com
- Max Mutchnick: My Daughters Have No Mother
- Sci-Fi – Six Word Stories
- Skeptic’s Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon
- Linux tips every geek should know | TuxRadar
- Slashdot | Best Solution For HA and Network Load Balancing?
- 20 Useful PHP Components & Tutorials for Everyday Project | Noupe
- YouTube – How It’s Made – BACON
- Bug #317781 – Comment #54
And this time, I’m just going to drop them in here with no sorting:
- IT jobs decline by 24% in three months | 19 Jan 2009 | ComputerWeekly.com
- squawkfox ? 6 Words That Make Your Resume Suck
- amonthofspam.gif (GIF Image, 995×2048 pixels)
- Inside the Real West Wing (washingtonpost.com)
- White House Museum
- American Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Shepherd’s Pie Recipes
- 30 Minute Shepherd’s Pie Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network
- Recipe: Bisquick Box Recipe – Easy Chicken Pot Pie (uaing condensed cream of chicken soup) (this works well with pre-rolled pie crusts)
- The Netflix Player by Roku | Watch Over 12,000 Netflix Titles Instantly on your TV
- 22 Most Used Free Fonts By Professional Designers | instantShift
- 30 Useful Open Source Apps for Web Designers – Six Revisions
- Roku – GPL Resources
- Virgin: the world’s best passenger complaint letter? – Telegraph
- boxee: the open, connected, social media center for mac os x and linux
- World gets its first gay leader – Europe, World – The Independent
- Google Maps: Cheney’s Veil Lifted on Vice President’s Residence
- 15 Years Later, CBS Tonight Finally Airs Bill Hicks? First, Last & Only LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN Performance!! — Ain’t It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.
- America’s Worst Supermarket Foods – Page 1 – MSN Health & Fitness – Nutrition
- energy-scale-100-orders-of-magnitud.jpg (JPEG Image, 1008×876 pixels)
- Another account of the USA flight that landed in the Hudson River
- Read at Work
- Firedoglake ? Texas Republicans: Stimulus Bill is a Socialist Travesty ? Show Us the Money
- Happy Birthday, Lifehacker: Our Best Posts from 2005 to 2009
- 5 Popular CSS Frameworks + Tutorials & Tools for Getting Started
- A Unix Utility You Should Know About: Pipe Viewer – good coders code, great reuse
- 10 exceedingly useful Flash tutorials | News | TechRadar UK
- Downloads | Ubuntu Tweak
- Google Earth Outreach – Tutorials
- Bind DNS Server Web interface,Frontend or GUI Tools — Debian Admin
- Screenshot Tour: GNOME Do’s Smart Dock Takes App Launching to Another Level
- MAGTOSS: Shit Parenting
- Command-line Fu < The best UNIX commands on the web
- Uncoached – This Was Just Too Weird To Pass Up: The Kermit Bale Phenomenon |
And G just picked out dried fruit at the store last week…
The right-wing wing-nuts lie.
So, Grace gave me a call yesterday morning. Actually, two calls, since the first one came while I was in the shower…
Grandma and Grandpa Albertson took her to the coast for one day, leaving early Sunday morning, and coming back this afternoon. Man, was that an excited voicemail!
Daddy J! Daddy J! We’re going to the coast! Call me back!
After my best moment of parenting ever, we all know how much she likes the ocean. It’s not changed — it’s still her favorite place to go. Yet, when she came back, my timing was impeccable. I followed the in-laws to their driveway, and she practically leapt into my arms getting out of their car.
We come home, and before she gets back on the scooter (see the gallery!) she has to give Daddy Cy a hug and a kiss.
We have breakfast for dinner. She eats all the eggs I can stand to make for her in one meal (4, for those of you who count, over easy), sausages, pancakes, and two bowls of fruity pebbles.
Then, all through her bath (what, sand in the sheets? No way!) she is shrieking with delight. She gets out and dries off, brushes her teeth, and I braid her hair. Daddy Cy reads to her until she falls asleep, and that’s when it occurs to me:
We are truly loved. More than Grandma and Grandpa, more than the coast. More than riding the scooter. All the things that are tops in her life? We top that.
This is what we work so hard for. This is better than we ever hoped for.
And the right-wing anti-gay pundits lie. She has what we need, we have what she needs. Love abounds, and we are all cared for.
Nothing is truly missing.
- jdic: SaverBeans Screensaver SDK Readme
- Gallery Remote:Screensaver – Gallery Codex
- 10 Killer WordPress Hacks | How-To | Smashing Magazine
- Google Maps: 100+ Best Tools and Mashups
- Star Viewer: an interactive map of the night sky
- Google Planimeter
- Solar Eclipses – Interactive Google Maps – Xavier Jubier
- Area Code Maps – Data As of July, 2007
- Meteor Craters – Explore 50 Asteroid Impact Sites! – GEOLOGY.COM
- 17 Google Maps Mashups To Waste Away Your Day
- Trulia – Real Estate, Homes For Sale, Sold Properties, Real Estate Maps
- Google Planimeter
- Feb/13/2009 at 23:31:30 UTC – the Unix time number reaches 1234567890 seconds. : programming
- adding videos to your blog
- Bradford Plumer
- Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard | The Onion – America’s Finest News Source
Lots of film links this time:
- 7 Film Franchises That Refuse to Die – OMG Lists.com – When we list, the world listens- The Ultimate Pop Culture List Site!
- Unreality – Ten Movies Where the Bad Guys Win |
- Unreality – Eight Film Directors and Their Muses |
- Justice’s Required Redeemer: On “The Dark Knight”
What a surprise — some political links right before the inauguration:
- Uniform Velocity: My Atheism Is Not A Rejection Of Your God
- 10 Worst TSA Employees of 2008 | The Luggage Blog
- PARADE Magazine | Barack Obama: A Letter to My Daughters
- Seven most horrible things about Bush’s presidency – MarketWatch
- UN-acceptable censorship: The United Nations tries to outlaw criticism of Islam
- who owns what
- Prejudice study finds gay is the new black
Golf and parenting to together in my world:
Good game for a cold day!
Update 12 Jan 2009: Grace has conquered darkness!
Got the kids playing after picking them up from school, so…
Happy new year!
As usual, things overheard start us off
- Overheard in New York | Is There a “Ctrl Z”?
- Overheard in New York | One Time I Caught Him Doing a Line of Mashed Potatoes
- Overheard in New York | Yeah? Just Keep Your Force to Yourself, Then. (Or, how Luke and Leia came to be)
- Overheard in New York | But If That’s the Way You Roll…
- Ubuntu Unleashed: Howto: Burn Audio Cd’s From mp3 in ubuntu
- BoonEx Community Software Products
- 10 mistakes new Windows administrators make | 10 Things | TechRepublic.com
- Diavlo :: a Free Quality Font from exljbris
- CSS3 module: Web Fonts
- Learning Linux OS: How to install open type fonts in Ubuntu?
- Installing OpenType Fonts [Archive] – Ubuntu Forums
- The 6 Coolest Things You Can Do With Your Dead Body | Cracked.com
- Ground Zero: Google Maps and Nuclear Weapons
- Slashdot | Is the Yellowstone Supervolcano About To Blow?
- DOE – NNSA/NSO — Test Films
- Play DVDs on your Wii – Hack a Wii – Wiimote Hacks, Mod Chips, DIY Nintendo Wii projects and more
- Sarah Palin Calendar 2009 … Judy Patrick Photography
- Difference between voting and slot machines
- 10 Things You Won’t See After the Recession – Business Center – PC World
Parenting and golf go together in my book:
- Sarah Trillin: Ten Ways to Find Your Children More Likeable (And to Be More Likeable to Your Children)
- Gyroscopic Golf Club: Slicer’s Savior or Swinger’s Snakeoil? | Gadget Lab from Wired.com
- Obama’s Hawaiian Holiday: Spam Sushi, Golf, Offers To Buy Beer For Reporter
- Golfer shot by stray bullet while waiting to tee off – Telegraph
- Color blindness – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Adoptive dads get names on birth certificate – Life- msnbc.com