More catchup blogging…
Once again, we start with things overheard:
- Overheard in the Office | Now Hop on One Foot While I Take Your Wallets
- Overheard Everywhere | More Likely He’d Giggle and Start Talking about Threesomes
- Overheard Everywhere | Maybe I Should Find a Nice Lesbian and Settle Down
- Overheard Everywhere | Why Children Should Not Be Taught New Words
- Overheard in New York | How Could You Not Love This Town?
- Overheard in the Office | You Call Your Mom by Her First Name?
- Overheard in the Office | Relax — That’s Just Canadian for “Good Morning”
- Overheard in New York | The Two Main Options for Young Gentlemen These Days
- Overheard in the Office | Except for Larry, Who Can Keep the Tutu
- Overheard in New York | Someone’s Been Listening to the President’s Speeches
- Overheard in the Office | It’s Quite Possible That Women Have Dirtier Minds Than Men
- Overheard in New York | Is a Goddamn Miniature Jack Too Much to Fucking Ask?
- Overheard Everywhere | Stop Poking at My Fishnets, Please
- Overheard Everywhere | Why His Family Has Stopped Drinking at Christmas
And continue with geeky things:
- Re: Sending Fax through CUPS
- Zimbra offers Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux and the Mac
- Direct2Dell – Dell’s Blog
- The Programmer Dress Code
- 9 BitTorrent how-toâ€™s | TorrentFreak
- Stop Downloading Fakes and Junk From BitTorrent | TorrentFreak
- SourceForge.net: hylafax-users
- Linux: Rip DVDs in Linux the (Semi-)Easy Way
- Gentoo-Portage – News
- Journal of toby (759)
- SNPP Information for Paging Carriers
- Bruce Schneier Blazes Through Your Questions – Freakonomics – Opinion – New York Times Blog
- 2010 Ford Mustang: 2010 Ford Mustang
- 50 Things You’re Not Supposed To Know
- YouTube – TERMINUS
- TheMishMash.com: 9 Telltale Signs You’re Probably an Asshole
- 10 Most Unusual ‘Top 10’ Lists | NicheGeek.com
- The Best of RHF
- How to make exercise more fun than sex | Jonathan Fields | Awake At The Wheel
- What the police can learn when they run a background check on your name. – By Brad Flora – Slate Magazine
- Anecdotes [rec.humor.funny]
- Witzelsucht [rec.humor.funny]
- Pranks: Google Maps Catches Sophisticated High School Football Field Prank
- What various awards on The Daily Dish mean
- Good Question (leads to Islamâ€™s Silent Moderates – New York Times)
- Why am I not listed here?
Catching up more often, lately
- I like Orangina, or at least I did until I saw this ad.
- Travis County Sherrifs like to mindlessly mess with Austin’s traffic.
- 15 cool word illusions
- HOWTO create a logserver with syslog-ng – Gentoo Linux Wiki
- AKSN1P3R: Firefox Asterisk Revealer
- Openfiler â€” Friendly enterprise storage management platform
- Five Desktop Blog Editors for GNU/Linux Users
- 5min – How to make a wi-fi booster – Video
- Damon likes his Guitar lessons
- WikiCharts â€” Top 100
- CIA agent alleged to have met Bin Laden in July | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
- Â» 5 yo boy dressed as Spiderman saves baby from blaze
- Surfer dude stuns physicists with theory of everything – Telegraph
- [0711.0770] An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything
- ETA/Cuisenaire: Hand Pointer
- Www.pogomall.com :: Product Details – bug vacuum
- Religious scholars mull Flying Spaghetti Monster – CNN.com
- TheMishMash.com: [Please Don’t] Send in the Clowns: 11 Clowns You Hope Never Work Your Child’s Birthday Party
- Pigeon Point Lighthouse on Flickr – Photo Sharing!
- The Hardware Aisle: Turkey tools moisten meat, resemble weapons
Blog catchup, yet again
- What TOP GUN is really about by Quentin Tarantino – Video – transcript
- Post to WordPress Blogs from Nokia Lifeblog
- WordPress Theme Hacks
- 40 Tips for optimizing your php Code
- GOOD Magazine | Goodmagazine – Mark Peters on the Colbert Suffix
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Financial Situation In Just 15 Minutes | zen habits | simple productivity
- Military inadvertently recruits gays – USATODAY.com
- No Shirts at Improv Everywhere
- Hot Homework Tips for Parents
- UnSecureFlight.com :: Read Your Own DHS Travel Dossier
- Roller coasters: 56 American scream machines : Kathika.com
- Voip Phreak – Â» Asterisk 1.4.5 SpanDSP Integration Howto
- 25 Skills Every Man Should Know – Essential DIY – Popular Mechanics
- men who look like old lesbians
- YouTube – Commercial – Homocil
- USB Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon install | Pen Drive Linux
- The 7 Habits of Highly Successful Fathers at Ririan Project
- What to Save From a Fire – TIME
- Drinking stories that put yours to shame – CNN.com
- Google Maps – San Diego Fires 2007
- Six of seven killed in house fire were from University of S. Carolina – CNN.com
- Mikeâ€™s Blog Â» Best security sign ever!
- YouTube – Cheerleader Gets Run Over By Football Team
- The End of Gay Culture
- Happy Linux Thoughts: Cracking Windows passwords with Linux
- Polycom reboot hardphone script – voip-info.org
- Lifehacker Top 10: Top 10 Free Video Rippers, Encoders, and Converters
- WallStreetFighter: How to Get Laid in 1977 and Your Ass Kicked in 2007
- Phelps Phucked | Slog | The Stranger | Seattle’s Only Newspaper
- Overheard in New York | Isn’t “Creepy Clown” Redundant?
- HOWTO Install HylaFax with iaxmodem on a running CentOS 4.3 + Asterisk 126.96.36.199 system with FreePBX 2.1 | FreePBX
- Why They Called It the Manhattan Project – New York Times
- Overheard Everywhere | The Cardinal of Contempt? The Deacon of Disdain?
- WordPress Super Cache 0.1 at Holy Shmoly!
- Identity Theft: How To Freeze Your Credit Report
- How to Win at Monopoly Â® – a Surefire Strategy
- Overheard in the Office | Do You Need an Epipen?
- Overheard in the Office | Measuring Out My Life with Coffee Spoons
- Overheard in the Office | But the Horrified Looks on My Kids’ Faces Always Set Me Straight
- Overheard in the Office | Then He’d Play with Them in His Crib
- Overheard in the Office | They’re Considering Sacking Us
- Overheard in the Office | We’ll Be Married 10 Years This April
- Overheard Everywhere | … Bob
And a special collection of pumpkin seed roasting recipes
2blog folder catchup, yet again
- In case you run into a bat …
- 15 Excellent Examples of Web Typography. Part 1 | i love typography
- megaflicks.jpg (bad font choice)
- Fonts101.com – Search Results, Browse Fonts (dnealean font)
- Howto: 3 Easy Ways To Speed Up CSS Development While Staying Organized | Elliot Swan
- the “blog” of “unnecessary” quotation marks
- lsof tips
- Thoughts on Stuff: Inland Empire – Spoilers
- Amazon.com: The End of America: A Letter of Warning To A Young Patriot: Books: Naomi Wolf
- Fascist America, in 10 easy steps — Signs of the Times News
- The Best License Plate Ever on TLAPD
- OPEN SOURCE GOD: 480+ Open Source Applications
- Other Last Suppers: Where’s the Outrage?
- Western Pennsylvania’s Frank Lloyd Wright trinity – CNN.com
- The Interviewing Cheat Sheet: 100 Resources for Interviewers and Candidates – HR World
- Ten Timeless Persuasive Writing Techniques | Copyblogger
- The PHP Toolbox: 20+ PHP Resources
- Overheard Everywhere | Also Known As “Wind”
- Overheard in New York | I Used to Have Them Backwards, but I Was Dead Wrong
- Kiva.org – Loans that change lives
- Top 50 Dystopian Movies of All Time
- visual demo
- This pic is not animated..Simply amazing.. [PIC]
- Bad motivational posters
- Myspace.com Blogs:harvey1954 MySpace Blog
- picture speaks a thousand words: Impatient New York Drivers
- Stupid-Question.jpeg (image)
- 2. Load Balancing
- Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- they.com â€º Create New Post â€” WordPress
- Quiz: How well do you know the United States? – U.S. News – MSNBC.com
- 10 Lessons to Teach Your Kids About Money | zen habits
- reCAPTCHA: Stop Spam, Read Books
- wafful.org – Web Security Blog – HTML 2.0 – Browser detection 
- YouTube – Dove Onslaught
The 2blog bookmarks are full!
Time to core-dump!
- How Big is the Solar System?
- Shoreline Firewall
- Product Advisory: Nokia BL-5C battery (remind Cy, Di and Sue to check theirs)
- PubCon Publishers Search and Marketing Conferences 2007
- Best Life Magazine: Health & Fitness: Eat these eight foods every day to cover all your nutritional bases
- What makes a great movie?
- Lifehacker Top 10: Top 10 PDF Tricks – Lifehacker
- Psychology Today: Want Yet Another Reason to Have Sex?
- Survey zeroes in on gay, lesbian consumers – Yahoo! News
- National Hurricane Center
- Yet Another Web Development Blog Â» 10 things you (probably) didnâ€™t know about PHP.
- geek heirarchy chart
- A parent we all should try to emulate
- I/O Reader – 15 Cool Things About PHP That Most People Overlook
- Essay: “I’m the proud owner of Karl Roveâ€™s fatherâ€™s solid gold [redacted].” – Boing Boing
- Don’t pay for eBay selling tools! (Free eBay Seller Software) | The Auction Software Review
- Perl functions A-Z – perldoc.perl.org
- Handy tip.
- the things we think but do not say :: Sara and I just got engaged! :: August :: 2007
- AUTOPEDIAâ„¢: NHTSA Recall and TSB List
- Software Development in the Real World: Ultimate Web Development Cheat Sheet Guide
- Set up a Web server cluster in 5 easy steps
- ThemBid.com Â» Blog Archive Â» Do You Still Scan Photos With A Flatbed Scanner?
- thisisby.us – The dirty details of LASIK surgery, by bathory313
- End of the World. Flash Animation
- Nothing Nice to Say – the world’s FIRST online punk comic
- ThinkGeek :: Cellphone Signal Extender
- ThinkGeek :: Prodikeys MIDI Keyboard
- How to launder money | Wise Bread
- Serious business of dealing with bullies – CNN.com
- The Psychology of Fatherhood – TIME
- 14th Colony Scout Â» Blog Archive Â» AdSense Tips from an Expert
- BobHarris.com – Tony Soprano didnâ€™t just get whacked; he practically got a funeral
- 73 Great Debt Elimination Tips | zen habits
- Success recipes most people know, but too few follow – lifehack.org
- No way this could apply to me!
- Urban Legends Reference Pages: Still the Queen
- 10 tips to being a better IT manager: Insight – Business – ZDNet Australia
- 12 IT skills that employers can’t say no to – Network World
- 10 Articles That Changed My Life Â· LifeReboot.com
- Weblog Tools Collection Â» Blog Archive Â» WordPress Keyboard Shortcuts
- Science Videos Search Engine – How it’s made
- Video for Merlinâ€™s â€œInbox Zeroâ€ talk | 43 Folders
- 7 Clever Google Tricks Worth Knowing | Marc and Angel
- Behance :: Articles :: 100 Tips to Improve Your Life
- In Focus: How to use “Furoshiki” [MOE]
- Secret to Overcoming Shyness Revealed … Tentatively | LiveScience
- 15 Amazing little known body tricks
Finally got an eye exam.
I am aging, but still under 40.Â That’s when I fully expect to go from “nearsighted” to “unable to read a menu in the same time zone”.
I’ve gone from -1.25/-1.5 to -1.5/-1.75, though for contacts, she prescribed both to be -1.5 — in anticipation of my turning 40.Â No signs of gloucoma, no astigmatism.Â They took baseline photos of my retina.
Everything was fine until she manually checked my peripheral vision with my pupils dilated.Â Then, we stopped being friends.Â For a few moments.Â I’ve got a followup visit on the 6th to see how the contacts she gave me are working out.
Lists of movies can be fun…
Strength and lonliness
Normally, weekend nights when we are home, we watch PBS Britcoms.
Tonight, PBS Mystery — a Brittish adaptation of Dracula — ran long. Instead of britcoms, we were presented with a half-hour animated musing on lonliness called “A Room Nearby“.
Instead of feeling for these people, I felt smug. They are talking about how lonliness is isolating, and dwelling on the negative aspects thereof, whereas by the time I was 14, I relished my lonliness, and used every moment of it that I could grab to forge my own identity.
C’mon, folks. Lonliness is not an affliction. It is not a curse. It is not neccisarily rejection by society. Even if it were, so what if it is? Take this time to forge yourself stronger. I cannot deny the ability of wallowing insofar as it can be a tool to eventually strenghten oneself, as much of the time that I now realize has made me stronger involved nothing more involved than myself and a Rubik’s Cube — or less (but we won’t go there today, WILL WE!?!), and faced with the almost archival fact that nearly 1/3 of gay teens attempt suicide (isn’t that number lower yet?), I can understand the need for such — well, what is it? A Short Film? A TV show? A mini-series? I must not be the target demgraphic. I’ve always had soneone to talk to, no matter how young or old.
I keep saying that “I am nobody’s demographic.” Whenever I say that, I feel that I’m being disingenuious. Then I think about it — Aside from “Dexter”, what have I found in popular culture to attract me? Certainly not the Police performing tonight. I have a Simpson-esque attitude toward almost all awards shows — or is that Allen-esque? No matter, because both those terms imply a marketability, in the sense that “Pythonesque” is now in the OED, which has allegedly disappointed John Clesse as much as I presume I must also be disappointed.
I’m still not going to hold back about my concerns about weakness, which I think if one of my greatest strenghts. Combine the best of New York City — that is, the directness; the best of San Francisco (ummmm, no comment), and the laid-backness of Austin, and you’ve pretty much got me.
And that all said, I still get both 80’s film references, and Pynchon references.
Oh, and I’m one of the best unix geeks you’ll ever meet. I’ve learned from the best of the best of the cream of the crop. I can make perl and sh sing.
And PBS is still playing “Keeping up Appearnaces”. Sigh.
Stanislaw Lem has died
Stanislaw Lem has died.
Another sad day has ended.
My personal favorite? Memiors found in a bathtub
Extra innings? No, just an extra outing.
We decided to stay an extra day, to take the kids to White Sands.
It also allowed us to split the trip back into two days — a vast improvement over the trip out.
And Grace got to do sledding, without that awful cold that was always involved when I was a child. Lucky girl!
She especially liked the sand rocks!
I thought it was interesting how abruptly the mountains stopped.
Oh, and a few bad things about the resort:
- It was a pepsi place
- Being a casino on a reservation in a state that hasn’t legalized gambling means that they cannot allow alcohol in the casino. How lame is that?
- They ran out of hot water the last day we were there
- It was cold most of the time
Still, it was quite pretty, except for the lack of ocean.
Panic, then an interesting round…and as good a happy ending as one could expect!
Why did we go to the mountains for spring break? To let Grace play in the snow!
So, this morning, we joined up with Cy’s sister’s family, and caravanned mostly up the mountain.
Several miles into the 12-mile trip up, Cy started feeling odd. He had just taken his blood pressure medication, so I told him to pull over and let me do the driving. So, off we start again, with me at the wheel. It’s a new car — this is perhaps the fifth time I’ve ever driven it. Well, let’s make sure it’s known that it is a truck. The two-lane road — actually, more like one and a half lanes — has no guardrail. It’s a mountain, so of course the road twists and turns, often sharply. I’m trying to stay as far from the edge as I can, but there is traffic going down.
That’s when I announce, as casually as I can:
I’m having a panic attack.
No, you’re not.
Oh, yeah. Let’s have an argument now! Have you ever tried to shut a stupid fscker up? And no matter how many times I told him to shut up, he just had to have the last word.
Finally, we got to another stopping point. Out we go, and Grace throws some snowballs at Cy while I calm down. We give Cy’s sister, who had stopped to let us catch up, the sleds (prompting the heartbreaking question “Why are you giving aunt Judy my sleds?”) and they continue on their way.
We, meanwhile, let G play for a few moments before we turn around. Let’s face it — we couldn’t go on.
Later that afternoon, Cy went to play golf. I thought it was too cold — and it was, when he started. He played the back nine, but I joined him for the front nine.I started out with 3 balls, marked “Top-Flite 3”. I ended with 3 balls, marked “Top-Flite 3”. I played nine holes without losing a single ball.
And, of course, my revenge is not complete, despite mentioning that Cy lost one on the front nine today…
And, when Judy got back, she told us it was too cold and windy to let the kids play in the snow.Yay! We did the right thing!
Irony, or just mean?
Why would anyone name a soup and salad shop “obese“?
Crash — the 2005 one (or, Happy anniversary!)
So, what did I get for my 20th anniversary?
A new hard drive.
What did Cy get?
His email back…