Got the new gentoo-based web server working yesterday, so tonight’s event http://sambaparty.com/ will truly be a celebration!
Once again, we start with things overheard:
- Overheard in the Office | Now Hop on One Foot While I Take Your Wallets
- Overheard Everywhere | More Likely He’d Giggle and Start Talking about Threesomes
- Overheard Everywhere | Maybe I Should Find a Nice Lesbian and Settle Down
- Overheard Everywhere | Why Children Should Not Be Taught New Words
- Overheard in New York | How Could You Not Love This Town?
- Overheard in the Office | You Call Your Mom by Her First Name?
- Overheard in the Office | Relax — That’s Just Canadian for “Good Morning”
- Overheard in New York | The Two Main Options for Young Gentlemen These Days
- Overheard in the Office | Except for Larry, Who Can Keep the Tutu
- Overheard in New York | Someone’s Been Listening to the President’s Speeches
- Overheard in the Office | It’s Quite Possible That Women Have Dirtier Minds Than Men
- Overheard in New York | Is a Goddamn Miniature Jack Too Much to Fucking Ask?
- Overheard Everywhere | Stop Poking at My Fishnets, Please
- Overheard Everywhere | Why His Family Has Stopped Drinking at Christmas
And continue with geeky things:
- Re: Sending Fax through CUPS
- Zimbra offers Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux and the Mac
- Direct2Dell – Dell’s Blog
- The Programmer Dress Code
- 9 BitTorrent how-toâ€™s | TorrentFreak
- Stop Downloading Fakes and Junk From BitTorrent | TorrentFreak
- SourceForge.net: hylafax-users
- Linux: Rip DVDs in Linux the (Semi-)Easy Way
- Gentoo-Portage – News
- Journal of toby (759)
- SNPP Information for Paging Carriers
- Bruce Schneier Blazes Through Your Questions – Freakonomics – Opinion – New York Times Blog
- 2010 Ford Mustang: 2010 Ford Mustang
- 50 Things You’re Not Supposed To Know
- YouTube – TERMINUS
- TheMishMash.com: 9 Telltale Signs You’re Probably an Asshole
- 10 Most Unusual ‘Top 10’ Lists | NicheGeek.com
- The Best of RHF
- How to make exercise more fun than sex | Jonathan Fields | Awake At The Wheel
- What the police can learn when they run a background check on your name. – By Brad Flora – Slate Magazine
- Anecdotes [rec.humor.funny]
- Witzelsucht [rec.humor.funny]
- Pranks: Google Maps Catches Sophisticated High School Football Field Prank
- What various awards on The Daily Dish mean
- Good Question (leads to Islamâ€™s Silent Moderates – New York Times)
- Why am I not listed here?
- I like Orangina, or at least I did until I saw this ad.
- Travis County Sherrifs like to mindlessly mess with Austin’s traffic.
- 15 cool word illusions
- HOWTO create a logserver with syslog-ng – Gentoo Linux Wiki
- AKSN1P3R: Firefox Asterisk Revealer
- Openfiler â€” Friendly enterprise storage management platform
- Five Desktop Blog Editors for GNU/Linux Users
- 5min – How to make a wi-fi booster – Video
- Damon likes his Guitar lessons
- WikiCharts â€” Top 100
- CIA agent alleged to have met Bin Laden in July | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
- Â» 5 yo boy dressed as Spiderman saves baby from blaze
- Surfer dude stuns physicists with theory of everything – Telegraph
- [0711.0770] An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything
- ETA/Cuisenaire: Hand Pointer
- Www.pogomall.com :: Product Details – bug vacuum
- Religious scholars mull Flying Spaghetti Monster – CNN.com
- TheMishMash.com: [Please Don’t] Send in the Clowns: 11 Clowns You Hope Never Work Your Child’s Birthday Party
- Pigeon Point Lighthouse on Flickr – Photo Sharing!
- The Hardware Aisle: Turkey tools moisten meat, resemble weapons
- What TOP GUN is really about by Quentin Tarantino – Video – transcript
- Post to WordPress Blogs from Nokia Lifeblog
- WordPress Theme Hacks
- 40 Tips for optimizing your php Code
- GOOD Magazine | Goodmagazine – Mark Peters on the Colbert Suffix
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Financial Situation In Just 15 Minutes | zen habits | simple productivity
- Military inadvertently recruits gays – USATODAY.com
- No Shirts at Improv Everywhere
- Hot Homework Tips for Parents
- UnSecureFlight.com :: Read Your Own DHS Travel Dossier
- Roller coasters: 56 American scream machines : Kathika.com
- Voip Phreak – Â» Asterisk 1.4.5 SpanDSP Integration Howto
- 25 Skills Every Man Should Know – Essential DIY – Popular Mechanics
- men who look like old lesbians
- YouTube – Commercial – Homocil
- USB Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon install | Pen Drive Linux
- The 7 Habits of Highly Successful Fathers at Ririan Project
- What to Save From a Fire – TIME
- Drinking stories that put yours to shame – CNN.com
- Google Maps – San Diego Fires 2007
- Six of seven killed in house fire were from University of S. Carolina – CNN.com
- Mikeâ€™s Blog Â» Best security sign ever!
- YouTube – Cheerleader Gets Run Over By Football Team
- The End of Gay Culture
- Happy Linux Thoughts: Cracking Windows passwords with Linux
- Polycom reboot hardphone script – voip-info.org
- Lifehacker Top 10: Top 10 Free Video Rippers, Encoders, and Converters
- WallStreetFighter: How to Get Laid in 1977 and Your Ass Kicked in 2007
- Phelps Phucked | Slog | The Stranger | Seattle’s Only Newspaper
- Overheard in New York | Isn’t “Creepy Clown” Redundant?
- HOWTO Install HylaFax with iaxmodem on a running CentOS 4.3 + Asterisk 126.96.36.199 system with FreePBX 2.1 | FreePBX
- Why They Called It the Manhattan Project – New York Times
- Overheard Everywhere | The Cardinal of Contempt? The Deacon of Disdain?
- WordPress Super Cache 0.1 at Holy Shmoly!
- Identity Theft: How To Freeze Your Credit Report
- How to Win at Monopoly Â® – a Surefire Strategy
- Overheard in the Office | Do You Need an Epipen?
- Overheard in the Office | Measuring Out My Life with Coffee Spoons
- Overheard in the Office | But the Horrified Looks on My Kids’ Faces Always Set Me Straight
- Overheard in the Office | Then He’d Play with Them in His Crib
- Overheard in the Office | They’re Considering Sacking Us
- Overheard in the Office | We’ll Be Married 10 Years This April
- Overheard Everywhere | … Bob
And a special collection of pumpkin seed roasting recipes
- (Unlucky) 13 Dumbest Drivers in the World
- 7 Stupid Thinking Errors You Probably Make – lifehack.org
- 5 Steps to Stop Living Paycheck to Paycheck
- Lifehacker Top 10: Top 10 Wikipedia Tricks – Lifehacker
- The Book of Ratings | Magic Tricks
- Huh? Wha? 5 more minutes Mom! damon’s Friends
- CircularReasoning.gif (GIF Image, 478×449 pixels)
- Gators soccer schedule
- Digestion Time Of Foods
- About Puppet – puppet – Trac
- The Simple Dollar Â» 30 Essential Pieces Of Free (and Open) Software for Windows
- SUPERGUIDE: The Open Source Challenge. How to replace Windows completely with Ubuntu. | APC Magazine
- Discover the foods that make children smarter – Health – TODAYshow.com
- his kid vs. your kid
- 6 Volt Battery Hack! You’ll Be Amazed! Video
- The Archive of Misheard Lyrics
- PPTP and shorewall
- 10 Tips For the Greatest Grilled Cheese – Editor’s Picks on Yahoo! Food
- 5min – How to make fire without matches or a lighter – Video
- Do You Recognize These 10 Mental Blocks to Creative Thinking? | Copyblogger
- Debit or credit? Here’s the answer – The Red Tape Chronicles – MSNBC.com
- News 8 Austin | In case you run into a bat …
So, what have I been up to?
I took the spambait on they.com, and instead of learning each one as it comes in, I now batch them up, and learn the batches once per minute.Â I also snag everything that imap users put into their imap spam folder, and add that to the learning batch.Â I keep the non-spambait stuff, and learn from the latest 30 of those each minute.
Did you know that they.com is getting about one spam each second?
It’s amazing how much I can get done if I stop doing work-work for a day.
I also caught up on a lot of blogging.Â I’ve been using foxmarks to have one set of bookmarks across every system, and I created a folder called “2blog”.Â Anything I come across that I want to blog about, I add to that folder.Â I cleared about half of it out yesterday.Â The really fun thing is that I can do that from anywhere, now!
We finally got a new dryer.Â We’ve gone gas, this time.Â It used to take 2 hours to do a load of towels — more recently, because I had to stop and untangle everything after the last baffle came out completely — but now it takes barely longer than the washer. I’m now thinking that I may want to reverse my standard method of doing laundry, and switch from starting with the whites (since I always ended up waiting on the dryer) to starting with the things done in cold water.
Bleh.Â I’m blogging about laundry.Â Time to go back to the 2blog folder, eh?Â Here we go…
Wow, things have really slowed down enough in my life that I can blog again?
So, a few months ago at work, I created the phrase
assholier than thou
Not too much here:
- Got the west-wing bluetooth working for my palm pilot, includes updating routing at home.
- Moved my palm links to https://j.snyder.name/palm
- Using PHP, I can now make sure only I can access the X10 remote-control of lamps. Now, I can do it from my palm pilot anywhere in the house! Without using up GPRS data limits!
- Yeah, I don’t really care, either.
- But now I can add SASL and PHP to my resume. Hell, that PHP knowledge might even mean something now.
- Am I the only one who stopped using PHP when they had 16 security problems in a week? Looks like they’ve had time to mature, at least in internet time.
- It seems that whenever a programming language gets object-oriented, the security drops for about 3 years, then it gets really tight for another 3. Remember the problems with java at first?
- Remember java?
- Hell, remember logo?
- Hell, I still believe, deep down in my cockles (don’t ask) that the reason every programming language ends statements with a semicolon is because of PASCAL (remember “Turbo Pascal”? “Turbo Prolog”? Remember Borland?), not because of C.
and hardly any paying work is getting done…
So far, I’ve
- Fixed some DNS issues
- Fixed some firewall/proxy server issues
- Got a new catalog site configured and running
- Fixed some issues with the old catalog site
- Created two ssl certificates to resolve the two items above
- Dealt with one expired domain under my opensrs account
- Scheduled photos for Grace and her cousins (and me)
- Picked out clothes for the photo shoot
- Labeled and carried two boxes of christmas crap out to the garage
- Removed about half the staples from stuff I have to scan
- Started scanning ~1000 pages, front and back (at least there’s an ADF)
- Vacumned the upstairs (at least there’s Roomba)
And it’s not even noon…
Update 8pm — Grace came home, and I got nothing else done, except for baking cookies, 2 loaves of bread, fixing dinner, cleaning up, getting her washed and into bed. Nothing!
Just a hint of part of the problem
Feb 6 04:08:18 sshd: Failed password for illegal user test from 188.8.131.52 port 59096 ssh2 Feb 6 04:08:18 sshd: Failed password for illegal user test from 184.108.40.206 port 59105 ssh2 Feb 6 04:08:18 sshd: Failed password for illegal user test from 220.127.116.11 port 59094 ssh2 Feb 6 04:08:27 sshd: Failed password for illegal user guest from 18.104.22.168 port 59499 ssh2 Feb 6 04:08:27 sshd: Failed password for illegal user guest from 22.214.171.124 port 59513 ssh2