Yet again, ransomware attacks are costing money and lives. Hey, microsoft, tell me about your TCO benefits over linux again?
Thank you, John Oliver…
…for redefining the term “shuttlecock”.
The saddest place on earth today, is 15.4 miles away from the allegedly happiest place on earth, if you take I-4.
#PulseOrlando, please meet #PinkPistols. #LGBTCCW
We have to defend ourselves. When seconds count, the first responders are minutes away.
…and I wonder how many folks in downtown Austin are wishing they had a choice of Uber or Lyft, but couldn’t vote because they have a DUI on their record.
And as a followup, why did Uber and Lyft let the “Big Corporations writing our laws” meme stand instead of coming back with a “Big corporations fighting about which corporations get to write our laws” meme? Aside from being a cash cow, how is the medallion scheme any less a bribe?
Meh. Probably time to go to sleep.
Twas the night before southby and all through the town
Not a car was stirring, no-one could get around.
Each person alone, and still on their phone
As the mayor said, tomorrow, work from home.
The presidents visit, he said, not his first
Will make tomorrows traffic much closer to worst.
It’s been much, much too long since I’ve cleaned up my bookmarks “other” folder; A simple dump is all that I can bother with at this size.
- New Marshmallow Root for Nexus 5, 5X, 6, 6P, 9 and 7 (2013) is OTA friendly, keeps system intact – The Android Soul
- The best Gmail tips, tricks, and extensions – Business Insider
- 10 reasons you shouldn’t upgrade to Windows 10 | InfoWorld
- Duran Duran premieres new song “Paper Gods” — listen | Consequence of Sound
- The IT Crowd: Dawn O’Porter and Chris O’Dowd star in their own remake
- 6 Treasured Memories From the Stars of Broadway’s 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee – TheaterMania.com
- Photos – Love Wins: Same-Sex Couples Make It Official – 11 of 17 – The Austin Chronicle
- McSweeney’s Internet Tendency: The SCOTUS Marriage Decision, in Haiku.
- Texas Pastor Now Says He Didn’t Mean He’d Really Set Himself Aflame | Advocate.com
- 10 Things Idiots Fear Will Happen Now That Marriage Equality Is Legal | God
- Justice Scalia insult generator: How the Supreme Court justice would mock you.
- They’ll always move further right: Why every defeat only makes Republicans more extreme – Salon.com
- The Outer Light | Written By: Morgan Gendel & Andre Duza | Art By: Don Ellis Aguillo
- The Creator of Linux on the Future Without Him – Bloomberg Business
- 8 things I learned from wearing an Apple Watch for a couple of weeks – The Oatmeal
- Five 13-Year-Old Boys Are Asked Why 1 Kid Is Being Bullied…Watch What The Boy On The End Reveals.
- The flooding may suck, but the rains have put one hell of a dent in the Texas drought.
- Cyanide & Happiness (Explosm.net)
- $19 Gizmo Turns Anything Into a Touchpad | WIRED
- Google Moves Its Corporate Applications to the Internet – WSJ
- Google Now – Google
- Here’s Google’s Secret to Hiring the Best People | WIRED
- Dell XPS 13 2015 (9343 Broadwell) review – I’m keeping it!
- Neil deGrasse Tyson Thinks ‘The Black Hole’ Is The Most Scientifically Inaccurate Movie Ever
- xkcd: Troubleshooting
- DASH Diet Ranked Top Diet For Fifth Straight Year
- Namecoin Block Explorer
- jQuery Mobile Touch Events
- CSS, Styling, & Dimensions | jQuery Learning Center
- Netflix open sources Dynomite to make any datastore distributed — Tech News and Analysis
- 50 jQuery Mobile Development Tips
- Rosetta | rendezvous with a comet
- LSI MegaRAID – megacli – thatlinuxbox.com
- MegaCli Common Commands and Procedures | Physical Security | Cisco Support Community | 5736 | 62901
- After Satanists Plan to Give Away Coloring Books, School Board Considers Banning Religious Distributions Altogether
- Sorting Algorithm Animations
- ThemeRoller | jQuery Mobile
- How to Find and Remove Duplicate Files on Windows
- Introducing Plex Home – Plex Blog : Plex Blog
- Virtual Library | Austin Public Library
- Austin Astronomical Society – Home
- Google Fiber
- Esther’s Follies Blog | Magic, Music & Comedy in Austin, Texas
- The Sixth Sense for Multiplication | Math with Bad Drawings
- reddit Status
- Easy Read/Write Splitting with PHP’s MySQLnd
- BashGuide/Parameters – Greg’s Wiki
- What colour is it?
- Engagement Rings for Gay Men — Need Advice! : lgbt
- Block Unwanted Traffic, from Linux Based Servers, with our Iptables Blocklists
- wmutils/core · GitHub
- Best Ever Green Bean Casserole Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
- Tips To A Great Grilled Green Bean Casserole | Weber.com
- Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com
- Gold Medal® Classic Dinner Rolls recipe from Betty Crocker
- Cracking the Sitcom Code – The Atlantic
- pshs — the awesome file sharing tool | Micha? Górny
- Two arrested in death of Austin choir director | KXAN.com
- AWS Tips I Wish I’d Known Before I Started – W(e)blinks
- Apache: No space left on device: Couldn’t create accept lock – major.io
- can you get a ticket in texas for having an out of date inspection sticker, if there is no other violation? : Austin
- The Cleveland Superbomb, January 1978 – Top 10 Big, Bad Blizzards – TIME
- Basic Pot Roast Recipe | Epicurious.com
- Joyously Domestic: Slow Cooker “Melt in Your Mouth” Pot Roast
- Beer-Braised Pot Roast Recipe | MyRecipes.com
- Beer-Braised Pot Roast Recipe – Grace Parisi | Food & Wine
- rudiger only kind of loves the snow – YouTube
- Nick Urbanik — Free Software Written by Me
- cv: progress bar for cp, mv, rm, dd… | TuxDiary
- The time capsule
- Texas Hold’em Odds Visualization
- Which is the best free slider for wordpress to show recently added posts? : WordPress
- 10 Most Popular Free WordPress Slider Plugins – WPMU DEV
- Snyder, Singletary – Outlook Web App
- LANSurveyor – Network Topology Mapper | Solarwinds
- What are you guys using instead of Microsoft Visio? : linux
- Authenticating other services against AD – SambaWiki
- Apache Active Directory Group Authentication | JamesCoyle.net
- Retrieve hard drive’s age and general health information using Linux
- Reveal the Magic Eye by 3Dimka on DeviantArt
- How To Use Vim for Advanced Editing of Plain Text or Code on a VPS | DigitalOcean
- MWE Lab – Products – Emperor 200 – Overview
- What are some suggestions for new cards for Cards against Humanity? – Quora
- CAH Custom Card Generator
- Bigger, Blacker Cards
- Create Your Own Cards Against Humanity | The Tech Savvy Educator
- Expand Your Cards – Unofficial Cards Against Humanity Cards
- Enabling and Disabling Network Adapters with PowerShell – Hey, Scripting Guy! Blog – Site Home – TechNet Blogs
- louwrentius/showtools · GitHub
- glusterfs/admin_settingup_clients.md at master · gluster/glusterfs · GitHub
- Find a movie to watch
- tips and tricks – Hidden features of Perl? – Stack Overflow
- Convert pfb to ttf | Everything Fonts
- Link your phone to Google – Search Help
- Custom Stylesheet in WordPress with Advanced Custom Fields and the ACF Options Add-On
- How to Fall Asleep in Under a Minute | TIME
- Why I Gave Up a $95,000 Job to Move to an Island and Scoop Ice Cream
- Movies : Free Movies : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
- How to Fold a Napkin Into an Elegant Penis in 8 Steps – CollegeHumor Post
- Cuban-Style Bread Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network
- Easy Cuban Bread recipe | How to Make Traditional Pan Cubano
- Autonomous Technology (a9t9): Free Open-Source OCR Software for Windows and the Web
- Lake Travis Water Level
- A Tmux crash course: tips and tweaks.
- Download Playback
- Home | Safercar — National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- 10 Brilliant Rube Goldberg Machines | Cool Material
- Preventing SQL Injection in PHP Applications – the Easy and Definitive Guide – Paragon Initiative Enterprises Blog
- Ansible, Chef and Puppet? : sysadmin
- Comparison of open-source configuration management software – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Visualized: How the insane amount of rain in Texas could turn Rhode Island into a lake – The Washington Post
- Copy files to remote servers with root authority using cat, sudo, and SSH (Brian Smith’s AIX / UNIX / Linux / Open Source blog)
- Beautiful Weather Graphs and Maps – WeatherSpark
- Texas Recycles TVs Program
- LampTracker® – Waste Management™
- Goodbye, Sourceforge!
- Command line interface for WordPress | WP-CLI
- A Simple Performance Comparison of HTTPS, SPDY and HTTP/2 | HttpWatch BlogHttpWatch Blog
- Why is Funny? — Medium
- High Performance Browser Networking
- HTTP/2 is here, let’s optimize! – Velocity SC 2015 – Google Slides
- Stalking John Barrowman: the Musical »
- jwz: Monkey Butter
- Setup and configure MySQL backup using Holland and Xtrabackup | ..::CHANGE is INEVITABLE::..
- DNS server with an API? : sysadmin
- SunCalc – sun position, sunlight phases, sunrise, sunset, dusk and dawn times calculator
- I can hit my SW 110 yards. : golf
- Westover Hills Weather | Personal Weather Station: KTXAUSTI129 by Wunderground.com | Weather Underground
- Ursula K. Le Guin’s Rules to Break and Rules to Follow : writing
- Everything You Need to Know About Preventing Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerabilities in PHP – Paragon Initiative Enterprises Blog
- letter s treble clef – Google Search
- 08) Star Trek 30th Aniversary Special Orchestral Suite from The Inner Light – YouTube
- NASA Explains Why June 30 Will Get Extra Second | NASA
- Words With Friends – Words With Friends Cheat
- vuther/coptop · GitHub
- The Chauffeur – spoken words at end… – Duran Duran – Lizard King’s Duran Duran Site
- Nothing to chauffeur a classiomatic | Sesquiotica
- Link your phone to Google – Search Help
- 2015-2016 Republican Debate Drinking Games | DebateDrinking.com
- A list of Block Explorers, more than 10 alternatives of blockchain.info : Bitcoin
- Bitcoin, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, Peercoin, Quarkcoin, Worldcoin stats
- What I learned migrating a customer MySQL installation to Amazon RDS
- Referral Spammers, no more! | Hitsteps
- Tips and Tricks on Optimizing Amazon Web Services
- A Chrome extension that re-authenticates AWS SAML credentials when they expire : aws
- Pixar’s 22 rules to phenomenal storytelling – Album on Imgur
- reddit shell: web based linux shell emulator for browsing reddit via command line
- How to keep a secret
- AWS in Plain English
- SMS Server Tools 3
- Paris Review – The Art of Theater No. 17, Wallace Shawn
- tmux-plugins/tmux-resurrect · GitHub
- MySQL at Wikipedia: How we do relational data at the Wikimedia Foundation | Percona Live Europe – Amsterdam 2015
- Get Started | Public DNS | Google Developers
- jynus/query-optimization · GitHub
- Austin Musical Show Listings (Austin)
- BWW Review: STALKING JOHN BARROWMAN Plagued By Technical Problems
- Admiral “Amazing Grace” Hopper, pioneering computer programmer – Amazing Women In History
- The Persistence of Memory – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- nvbn/thefuck · GitHub
- Lynch on Mulholland Dr. – From the Current – The Criterion Collection
- EXPERIMENT: Root without modifying /system – Post #2 – XDA Forums
- Huawei Nexus 6P
- History of screenwriting: a master book of plots.
- How to Get Colored Window Title Bars on Windows 10 (Instead of White)
- Battery report
- How to block network traffic by country on Linux – Xmodulo
- Windows 10 Worst Feature Installed On Windows 7 And Windows 8 – Forbes
- The Hottest Restaurants in Austin Right Now, August 2015 – Eater Austin
- Shark attack at Mustang Island, near Port Aransas in Texas, United States of America
- No April Fools: The top 10 IT fiascos of all time | ZDNet
- Gary Dahl, Inventor of the Pet Rock, Dies at 78 – NYTimes.com
I’m certain that what he meant was:
Donald Trump will be the wealthiest individual elected…
I would gladly say
Black Fridays matter.
except I’m sure that this year some jerk would say
All Fridays matter.
So, if we go by the eventually allowed marriage certificate, Cy and I have been married a whole three months since yesterday.
If we go by our accounting, we’ve been together 30 years today.
The best part of my day? Telling Cy to go back to sleep while I help G with her homework. He’s earned a rest after 30 years, and I’m so proud that she is taking full responsibility for her own homework.
I couldn’t be happier with my family.
I would like to thank:
- My parents and my in-laws (no longer out-laws!) for providing such an excellent example of commitment.
- The Travis County Clerk’s office, specifically:
- Dana Debeauvoir, for leading such a great team who made us feel welcome from beginning to end
- Adrian R., our clerk, who helped us by walking us through the process (and remembering us when we returned to file!)
- Louis L., and his team who made the filing process – well, if not fun, at least painless.
- District Judge Gisela Triana, who made the process of getting a wavier fun.
- Our officiant, who for now chooses to remain anonymous.
- My entire management chain at work, for their well-wishes, and accommodation of missing an entire day on such short notice.
- Hundreds of facebook friends for their likes and congratulations!
- The dozens or hundred of other couples going through the same welcome process – folks were sharing flags, flowers, photos – just about anything to make everyone’s special day…well, special!
- The officiant offering free services outside Judge Triana’s courtroom – we didn’t need you, but we were glad you were there!
- Diane and Torsten, for their insistence on joining us to celebrate afterward.
- Our Esther’s family, for unrestrained joy they all shared with us
- Our daughter, for her patience with both daddies on this historical day
- Cy, for the rest of our lives together. Oh, what the heck, for the past 30 years, too…
- And finally, snarkily, Anton Scalia, for being so wrong about every decision he’s put in writing since joining SCOTUS, that I know when he was this upset that this was DEFINITELY the Right Thing To Do, no hesitation nor doubt on my part.
- And now, really for final finally, our daughter again, for making a joke confusing SCOTUS with SCROTUS. Honestly, folks, that’s what she said. No idea what SCROTUS would stand for, but I ended up giggling almost as hard as she was…
Every minority that has gained acceptance in the US has gained it be beginning with cuisine.
Therefore, I propose that part of the reason that LGBT acceptance is at what must almost be the tail end of minorities is the lack of a “gay quisine”. Note: “Brunch” doesn’t count…
The closest I’ve come in my life was a gay bar in Pittsburgh years ago that had a baked chicken with brie and apricot preserves entree, and honestly, that can’t compare to Pho, or curry, or Guinness, or lasagne, or hummus, or any of a thousand other dishes that our culture has absorbed.
Despite that lack, we’re still on the cusp of equality. (And let’s be glad that it wasn’t sponsored by Apple, otherwise we would be fighting for iquality…)
From George Takei’s facebook:
Friends, on Tuesday the U.S. Supreme Court hears the case that might finally bring marriage equality to all 50 states. I’m changing my profile for 48 hours (using the special tool at http://equality.georgetakei.com) to show my support. I address this not to my LGBT fans, but rather to our straight allies: We cannot do this without you. Stand with us, ?#?makeitcount?, and together we will achieve equality for all.
NOTE- Your overwhelming support has Takei’d the site. Please be patient with it and it will be up in no time.
As a gay man…
You know, don’t serve me pizza, fine, I’ll eat elsewhere. I don’t want your hate-filled cake at my wedding. I can get my car fixed anywhere else without having to show a CHL. I can buy flowers anywhere else that will be assembled caringly, not with resentment.
But if you as a pediatrician can’t be a good doctor to ANY child for ANY reason, you should just retire. This makes pharmacists that won’t give out plan B look almost human.
The phrase “first, do no harm” should also apply to this “pediatrician’s” reputation.
<http://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/State-leaders-celebrate-ten-years-without-6101014.php> (No, really. Go read the whole thing and come back here…)
I also like to think that the flavor chosen was “Pyrrhic Velvet”, but that might be a touch snarky. It is doubtful that anyone was wiping frosting off their nose a few moments later, and even more doubtful that anyone stepped on a glass wrapped in a cloth a few moments later, right?
I was particularly interested by this quote:
Supporters of the marriage ammendment say traditional family structures with one man and one woman are essential for healthy children, while opponents say the Fourteenth Ammendment of the U.S. Constitution prohibits discrimination based on other people’s opinions.
I dare guess that our daughter is perfectly healthy – probably healthier than theirs, since we’re insisting on the HPV vaccine and sex education that includes knowledge of contraception…
Hey! How did this soapbox get under me?